Policies & Procedures

Be sure you understand the requirements for your VA benefits to ensure proper payment!

In addition to institutional policies and regulations, students who receive education benefits from the Veterans Administration must comply with the policies of that office for training and education. These policies include the following requirements:

  • The student must be accepted with all official transcripts submitted prior to certification to the Veterans Administration as eligible to receive benefits.
  • It is the student鈥檚 responsibility to advise the University鈥檚 VA Office at the beginning of each semester or term about their schedule and if it is FINAL. In addition, it is the student鈥檚 responsibility to notify the VA Office of any change in the student鈥檚 status, such as dropping or adding courses or withdrawal from the school after a semester or term has started. 聽When a student using the Post 9/11 GI Bill drops a class (or stops attending) after the enrollment certification is submitted to VA, the student is responsible for any overpayment by VA.
  • If the school does not receive the expected tuition payment from VA, the student is responsible for the difference. This could affect registration for the next semester/term.聽 Students should review and complete the Student Financial Responsibility Agreement, each semester.聽 聽聽聽
  • Review the Undergraduate or Graduate bulletin/catalog that pertains to your degree program and understand the definition of full-time course load. This affects the amount of Stipend or Housing Allowance received.聽 For example, students using the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) training at a rate of pursuit of 75% would receive 80% of the Housing Allowance.
  • Summer school, evening programs, graduate programs, and undergraduate extended campus sites with different academic calendars will be computed on an individual basis.
  • Only courses required to complete the degree program or remaining elective courses in the individual鈥檚 curriculum can be certified for VA education benefits. A change in your degree program to include a minor requires documentation for VA purpose.
  • Depending on the circumstances, a student may repeat a course and receive VA education benefits for an “F” grade and 鈥淒鈥 grade (see VA Official).
  • If a student does not make “Satisfactory Academic Progress” as defined by the University鈥檚 Financial Aid requirements, the law requires the student be placed on Academic Probation and VA education benefits can be terminated ().
  • It is ultimately YOUR responsibility to report any change in status. Failure to comply with these requirements could result in an over-payment, a lapse in payment, or a reduction in your benefits.
    • If you are permitted a course substitution, you must give a copy of the approval paperwork to your VA Certifying Official.
    • You must notify the VA Office, Registrar and Department of Veterans Affairs of any address changes. You should also use your 橙子影院 email account.
  • Students may be certified for 鈥減rerequisites鈥 for a Masters degree. You must provide a letter of acceptance into your specific program and an outline of required prerequisites from the college.
  • Students taking classes at another institution with the purpose of transferring credit back into 橙子影院 must obtain a visiting student letter from the Certifying Official to give to the visiting school and to their Veterans Affairs Office.
  • If you qualify for the Yellow Ribbon program, be sure you read and understand the requirements to participate. At this time, Active Duty personnel and their spouses are NOT eligible to participate in the Yellow Ribbon program.

Note: GI Bill庐 is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at聽